domenica 15 gennaio 2012

Redgum - I Was Only 19 (A Walk In The Light Green)



Among the groups that have traveled the wastelands of post-'70s rock totally unrelated to their time, the Redgum are undoubtedly the most out time of all. It was the early eighties when they still were going around with Afghan coat, jeans bell-bottom-style and beards like the Band period Big Pink. Escaped from the Village who roamed the southern plains, around Adelaide, playing acoustic guitars, mandolins, flutes, and fiddle in Celtic sauce. Flutes! Sheer madness ... not that, behind that beard, Schumann was a true songwriter, a little 'outlaw a little' off-course sociology student, able to write one of the most engaging songs about Vietnam: I Was Only 19. And only 10 years late. But perhaps in this  long latency is the beauty of a piece that does not come detached from the experience, but from the author’s chats with some Australian veterans of that dirty and nasty war.


From here a technical vocabulary so extensive, precise and refined that it seems written by a drill sergeant in Cangura, at least partially mitigating the rhetoric so dull and common songs like that.
Told in first person as you would a veteran on the psychiatrist's couch, it proceeds with powerful and synthetic images like walking through the "green light" that, on the maps,  showed the discovered prairies in which the ambush was easy for Charlie, where every step could be the last on your legs, where the only way to stay involved in life was to think of something else.
Where the drama becomes more acute, but more obvious, Schumann gets hold of the more evocative line of the entire song.
And even that “I was only nineteen”, who at first seems the usual platitudes of circumstance, becomes more meaningful and more weight each repetition, until it becomes really unbearable after the row of question that is not found, and there are still , a real answers.
You do not listen it in Forrest Gump or in Platoon; definitely not on TV. But it's a great piece of “news of war”, to read, listen and do not forget.



Fra i gruppi che hanno percorso le terre desolate del Rock post ‘70 totalmente estranei al loro tempo, i Redgum sono senz’altro i più fuori orario fra tutti. Erano i primi anni Ottanta quando loro ancora se ne andavano in giro con cappottoni afgani, jeans a zampa e barbe incolte in stile the Band periodo Big Pink. Dei fuoriusciti dal Village che vagavano per le lande australi, in quel di Adelaide, suonando chitarre acustiche, mandolini, fiddle in salsa celtica e flauti. Flauti! Roba da denuncia … Se non che dietro a quella barba ispida di Schumann stava un vero songwriter, un po’ outlaw un po’ studente di sociologia fuori corso, in grado di scrivere una delle più coinvolgenti canzoni sul Vietnam di sempre: I Was Only 19. E con solo 10 anni di ritardo. Ma magari proprio in questa lunga latenza sta il bello di un pezzo che non nasce avulso dall’esperienza, bensì dalle chiacchierate dell’autore con alcuni veterani australiani di quella guerra sporca e cattiva.
Da qui un vocabolario tecnico talmente ampio, preciso e ricercato da sembrare scritto da un sergente istruttore a Cangura, tale da mitigare almeno in parte quella retorica così melensa e comune in brani di questo genere.


From Vung Tau, riding Chinooks, to the dust at Nui Dat
I've been in and out of choppers now for months.
But we made our tents a home, VB and pinups on the lockers
And an Agent orange sunset through the scrub.

Raccontata in prima persone come farebbe un reduce sul lettino dello psichiatra, procede per immagini sintetiche ma potenti, camminando attraverso quel “light green” che sulle mappe indicava le praterie scoperte in cui era facile l’imboscata di Charlie, in cui ogni passo poteva essere l’ultimo sulle tue gambe, dove l’unico modo per restare attaccati alla vita era pensare a qualcos’altro.

A four week operation, when each step can mean your last one on two legs
It was a war within yourself
But you wouldn't let your mates down 'til they had you dusted off
So you closed your eyes and thought about somethin' else

Dove il dramma si fa più acuto, ma anche più scontato, Schumann pesca il verso più evocativo di tutto il brano.

Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon

E anche quel I was only nineteen, che all’inizio pare la solita banalità di circostanza, assume ad ogni ripetizione più significato e più peso, fino a diventare veramente insostenibile dopo l’infilata di domande che non trovarono, e non trovano tutt’oggi, una vera risposta:

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And night-time's just a jungle dark and a barking M16?
And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?


Non lo sentirete in Forrest Gump, o in Platoon; meno che mai lo sentirete in TV. Ma è un grande pezzo di cronaca di guerra, da leggere, ascoltare e non dimenticare.


P.S. Il gruppo donò le royalties per il brano all’associazione dei Veterani Australiani del Vietnam

L’Australia impegnò in Vietnam circa 47000 soldati; i morti furono circa 500, i feriti oltre 2000.
I reduci non furono una prerogativa solo dell’America ma spesso la memoria è corta.
Attualmente in Afghanistan sono impegnati oltre 50.000 militari provenienti da decine di nazioni diverse. Circa 4000 sono italiani.
Perché?

Mum and Dad and Denny saw the passing-out parade at Puckapunyal
It was a long march from cadets.
The sixth battalion was the next to tour, and it was me who drew the card.
We did Canungra, Shoalwater before we left.

And Townsville lined the footpaths as we marched down to the quay
This clipping from the paper shows us young and strong and clean.
And there's me in me slouch hat with me SLR and greens.
God help me, I was only nineteen.

From Vung Tau, riding Chinooks, to the dust at Nui Dat
I've been in and out of choppers now for months.
But we made our tents a home, VB and pinups on the lockers
And an Agent orange sunset through the scrub.

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And night-time's just a jungle dark and a barking M16?
And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
God help me, I was only nineteen.

A four week operation, when each step can mean your last one on two legs
It was a war within yourself
But you wouldn't let your mates down 'til they had you dusted off
So you closed your eyes and thought about somethin' else

And then someone yelled out "Contact!" and the bloke behind me swore
We hooked in there for hours, then a God almighty roar
Frankie kicked a mine the day that mankind kicked the moon,
God help me, he was going home in June.

I can still see Frankie, drinking tinnies in the Grand Hotel
On a thirty-six hour rec leave in Vung Tau
And I can still hear Frankie, lying screaming in the jungle
'Til the morphine came and killed the bloody row.

And the Anzac legends didn't mention mud and blood and tears
And the stories that my father told me never seemed quite real.
I caught some pieces in my back that I didn't even feel
God help me, I was only nineteen.

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And why the Channel Seven chopper chills me to my feet?
And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
God help me, I was only nineteen.


Redgum – I Was Only 19 (A Walk In The Light Green) Epic – ES 844 (Australia) 1983

Ref.:


Mappa delle Operazioni in Vietnam tratta da:




Nessun commento:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...